From the Thurston County Sheriff’s Office, we received today these Cold Weather Tips:
The Sheriff’s Office wishes everyone a very Happy Holiday Season. In recent days we have reached record low temperatures. I would like to provide a few safety tips for this cold weather season.
- Dress in layered clothing and wear some sort of head gear/covering.
- Check space heaters for sufficient ventilation and wire condition.
- Do not use charcoal or gas grills indoors.
- Check on your neighbors – especially the elderly.
- Keep pets inside.
- Never use an electric generator indoors, inside the garage, or near the air intake of your home because of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Insulate any water lines that run along outer walls.
- Prepare your home and car for cold weather.
- Have a week’s worth of food and safety supplies.
- Keep a water supply.
- Parents: With the cold temperatures many ponds and lakes are beginning to freeze. While children may feel that it makes for a great place to play, it’s actually very dangerous. Please keep your children safe and do not allow them to play on frozen ponds or lakes.
Contact info: If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Thurston County Sheriff’s Office at (360) 786-5500.