The GNA Board has decided not to pursue a technical legal appeal of the
Here is some background:
In the technical legal challenge, the Griffin Neighborhood Association asserted that the conference center application had lapsed according to County regulation timelines. In the appeal to the Commissioners, the GNA also noted that the County erred when it allowed the application to continue, long after deadlines stated in the County’s own regulations.
Following this decision, members of the GNA Board met with counsel and heard that this precedent-setting circumstance in a court case would likely be decided in agreement with the majority Commissioner’s decision, rather than impose the penalty of lapsing the application.
What we plan to do next:
By deciding not to pursue the rather technical issue of how County staff mishandled this application, the GNA Board has decided to focus efforts to oppose the Conference Center related to the Environmental Impact Study and the issuance of a Special Use Permit, which was not in keeping with the “community club” definitions in the County regulations at the time of the application. The Board believes it is much more likely to be able to defeat the project in this way.
The Board has begun to develop a strategy to oppose the
How you can help:
- Stay informed via the GNA website at http://www.GriffinNeighbors.org
- The GNA will be creating small groups to develop our case, for public hearing, against the conference center. These groups will focus on these key areas:
- Legal strategy
- Noise/Outdoor Light
- Quality of Life
- Fundraising and Public Outreach
- The Board will soon be asking for volunteers to help staff these groups. Bring your time and input to small group meetings that will brainstorm and plan for opposition strategies.
- One of these groups will be coordinating a letter-writing campaign. Volunteer to write letters to the County, to The Olympian, and elsewhere.
- Volunteer by contacting the GNA: Leave a voice mail message at 252-6047 or email us at email@example.com
- If you are not already a member of the GNA, click here to join us!
Thank you for becoming involved in preserving the rural nature of our community.